All Blogs

"The Tale of Tsar Saltan"
Genre: Russian literature, folk fairy tale, rhymes

One of my favourite fairy tales from childhood is
“Skazka o Tsare Saltane ” by Aleksandr Pushkin.
Aleksandr Pushkin was a Russian author of the Romantic era.


The story starts from an evening conversation between three sisters.
They were speaking about their dreams; particularly, what they would do if one of them became a tsarina.
>
Three fair maidens, late one night,
Sat and spun by candlelight.
"Were our tsar to marry me,"
Said the eldest of the three,
"I would cook and I would bake -
Oh, what royal feasts I'd make."
Said the second of the three:
"Were our tsar to marry me,
I would weave a cloth of gold
Fair and wondrous to behold."
But the youngest of the three
Murmured: "If he married me -
I would give our tsar an heir
Handsome, brave, beyond compare."
>

This conversation was heard by the tsar.
The youngest and the most beautiful was chosen to be his wife. She was not only extremely beautiful, she also had a radiantly gracious state of mind.
She married with Tsar Saltan, then gave birth to a son.
The two older sisters got incredibly jealousy and blamed the tsaritsa.
As a result, a woman and her little son were sealed in the barrel, which was thrown into the azure sea.


The story is easy for memorizing. It immediately sticks on your mind due to the rhyme.
I know the whole story since childhood, it seems that I would never be able to forget it.

I adore Pushkin's fairy tales because they are very educational.
The story's false; but in it lies some truth, seen but by inward eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment